Tuesday, November 20, 2012
On the bbq - garlic prawn and haloumi skewers
Summer is on it's way, which means sand between the toes again, ocean swims, long daylight hours and as many easy meals on the bbq as you can get your husband to cook!
I love cooking on the bbq, it brings you outdoors, the smells are incredible and wiping down the bbq at the end sure beats washing up the pots and pans everytime.
In my new cookbook NAKED FOOD there is a whole chapter devoted to 'on the bbq', giving you simple, healthy and tasty ideas, you can prepare quickly and cook with ease.
Here is one of my faves step by step:
Garlic Prawn and Haloumi Skewers
Makes 12 skewers
what you need
1 kg green prawns (medium king or banana)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
180g haloumi cheese
12 cherry tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper and lemon wedges to serve
Note: haloumi is a soft or semi-hard Cypriot cheese with a salty flavour, made from either sheep or goats' milk. It has a high melting point and so can easily be fried, grilled or barbequed. It is a good source of calcium and protein. It can be soaked in milk to remove some of the saltiness prior to use.
ps.do your self a favour and visit the Sydney Fish Market this summer and pick up your seafood at peak freshness, not to mention at a very affordable price.
what you do
1. Peel the prawns, leaving the tails on. Using a small sharp knife or scissors, cut down the back of the prawn from top to tail and remove the waste tract.
Combine the prawns, garlic and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
2. Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for 15 minutes, to prevent them burning while cooking. Cut the haloumi into pieces about 3cm x 2cm x 1cm.
3. Thread 2 prawns and a piece of haloumi alternately on to each skewer, and finish with a cherry tomato.
4. Preheat the bbq on high heat. Place the skewers onto the bbq plate, making sure to space them apart to avoid overcrowding and stewing the prawns (cook in two batches if necessary). Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Transfer to a serving platter, season with pepper as desired and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
So take advantage of the great outdoors and get out there on the bbq and cook some NAKED FOOD.
'NAKED FOOD the way food was meant to be' is a 244 page Hardcover Cookbook, with photography by Steve Brown. It contains over ninety simple, healthy recipes you can cook from scratch, that taste great and are good for you. There is a full colour photograph for every recipe. RRP $49.95 Buy Now