Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Garden of Green!


Where I live it's been raining and raining and raining for the past two weeks! Rain can be so annoying, so inconvenient and so wet. It is detrimental to dry washing, driving your car from A to B, visiting the farmers market and watching 'the adventurer's' soccer game.
Yet rain can be more than that, it can be refreshing and cleansing. It forces you to slow down and requires patience from you. It brings with it an opportunity for greater capacity, so I find it hard to complain about the rain.
I think of our farmers who desperately rely on rain arriving to water their crops. For them rain is about survival. 
I think of my own produce growing in the vege patch at my place and how nothing causes it to grow and flourish more than steady, drenching rain. 
Oh how my garden does love the rain!
Rain brings life and makes everything green. I walked out into my little patch of garden this afternoon to gather produce for the dinner table. All I could see was green and I couldn't help but smile at the rain.

mixed lettuce
english spinach
garlic
broad beans
lemon grass and silverbeet
kale
rainbow chard
limes
flat leaf parsley and sorrel
and something beautiful amongst the green, making whispers of spring time; nasturtium (edible flower)

No comments: