Tuesday, December 20, 2016

'Tis the season to stop!


                                                            
'Tis the season to stop!
It's been quite the year 2016, boxes are ticked with the second cookbook on the shelves and our final child finished school, but I'm ending it all just a little weary. It seems when you burn the candle at both ends for a whole year, you eventually run out of wax - I think I'm going to fall over the finish line at the end of this week and then proceed to lay horizontal for quite some time. I'm so thankful for what's been done and just as thankful to have the chance to stop. Time to rest a while, read that pile of books that have waited too long, write some words, take some pictures, swim in the ocean, catch fish and dream of new adventures.

The final leg of the book tour was delightful. Victoria was all rolling green hills, rural goodness and catching up with old and new friends. Three days together with my treasured friend Wendy, staying at a favourite cottage in Poowong East - Marge's Cottage - our base for our time there. Amidst our exploring of the region we discovered a little, one street town, named Loch and a new friend Sandra. Sandra and her husband Bob and their green kombi 'Olive' arrived in Loch two and half years ago and never left. Instead they opened a gorgeous little cafe, Olive at Loch (which is now stocking Our Delicious Adventure) and is well worth a visit if you're down that way. We also enjoyed a lazy afternoon of wine, cheese and laughter with farmer friend Tamsin Carvan at Tamsin's Table and on her recommendation later dined out at Trulli's Pizzeria in Meenyan, a delicious wood-fired pizza joint, which was another wonderful find.

Tasmania was just grand. Even as I descended into Launceston I looked out the window of the plane at the pristine coastline, green fields and majestic mountain ranges and mumbled to myself - "Tasmania I do adore you...and if your water was warmer to swim in, I'd stay much longer." 
We had two days in a quaint cottage in Deloraine, with a stunning rose garden and my dear friend Michelle Crawford for company. An afternoon baking, making, chatting, laughing, drinking Pinot Noir and eating Coal River Farm triple brie, as we prepared for the book launch event at The Black Hen the next day. We packed the car with baked goods, armfuls of freshly cut roses and gorgeous props Michelle had bought to create a sense of adventure, then we made our way to the shop. It was the perfect venue to gather, almost like sitting in the family room chatting with dear friends, as Michelle and I conversed on the favourite recipes and stories of Our Delicious Adventure. Our eager guests joined in the conversation and happily devoured the delectable morning tea provided. Mr G was more than delighted to hear that I sold lots of books and was coming home with several offers to borrow holiday shacks and fishing boats from the locals, next time we visit the apple isle. Michelle and I took an afternoon drive to the little town of Sheffield (the town of murals) to eat Chinese food at T's Chinese Restaurant - a humble location which is quickly becoming known as a paddock to plate food destination - it was worth the trip - particularly for the pot stickers, oh and that pork!

I'm hoping your year has been fulfilling and that your Christmas and New Year season will be both delicious and restful. Of all the things I've done and do, I've discovered this past year that I really enjoy writing, and particularly writing here. I am grateful for all of you that stop by to read my ramblings and share in my delicious adventures. I've never really imagined myself as a writer until now...I've always been the cook, the chef, the mother, the comedian even...so I'm stepping into the writer realm and taking courage from these words, which I also offer to those of you that share the desire to write...
"Write. Writing is what makes a writer, nothing more and nothing less." - Anne Rice -















No comments: